November 8, 2009

NaNo Day Eight: Interspection Begins

Today's officially day eight of NanoWriMo. It's rather amazing just how fast it's moving! After today, everyone should have 13,336 words.

Are you there? Have you made it? If not, don't be discouraged. The thing is, very often to we write by word count. Even though NaNo is a word count based challenged, I'm inclined to think that we shouldn't think of it solely by the numbers.

Most of us when we write, we write by scenes or ideas of scenes. Why should NaNo be any different? Sure, some days we might write and only get three hundred words if we're lucky. But other days when we sit down, the words might just pour out of us.

Too often this month we get hung up on word counts and not on just the simple act of writing.

There is something great about closing your eyes and just letting the words pour out of you, so do that. But if you don't make 1667 in a day, don't beat yourself up over it. You wrote. You created. You are a writer and that is what matters.

1 comment:

  1. That's how I feel sometimes banging my head against the keyboard because I can't get enough words. But I remind myself its better to find the right words rather than the most words.I finished my story in the end but decided not to turn it in because it was too good of a story. LOL.
    Did you finish your story on time?

    ReplyDelete