August 19, 2009

Plot Kitties to the Rescue

It's amazing how inspiration strikes you.

Lately, I've been struggling to figure out what to write in my fiction life. I want to be published and so much of my writing has been: Is this marketable? Is this new?

And while those things are definite things to consider, that shouldn't be the end all to what we, as writers, write. I was reading a friend's journal at http://www.livejournal.com and she casually mentioned that the reasons writer's write is that we have a story to tell and need to get it out.

That struck a chord with me.

You see, lately I've been sitting at my computer, brain bleeding, as I try to figure out what I want to write that will be the next best seller. Sure, I keep chugging along on my WIPs, but I painstakingly struggle to figure out what to write next.

So today, while cleaning out my cat's litter box, because seriously isn't that where every great writer plots? There must be something magical in those tiny little odor crystals. I digress... today while cleaning out the litter, I asked myself one question:

What story do you need to tell?

And instantly, almost like lightning, the idea struck me so hard, I actually sat down on the tile in my bathroom and stared into space for a good twenty minutes. The characters grew, the story arc wrote itself, and the complete novel popped into my head.

I don't think that's ever happened like that.

So next week, I'm starting in on it. I'm scrapping a few of my WIPs, not because I am sick of them or even am excited about a new plot bunny, but because I started those stories with the wrong motives and you can tell in the writing.

On Monday, I'm hibernating from the world for two full days and just writing it out. I'm doing nothing but pounding out that story. This week is light research, because the topic is one I've investigated before, but I do still need to nail down a few things. I'm going to write down the characters tonight and tomorrow, plot out a few specifics, but when Monday comes, I'm hitting the ground running.

And for the first time in awhile, I'm really excited to be starting a new project.

What about you? What story do you have to get out? What moments in your life brings about the perfect inspiration? And do you need to borrow some of my cat liter? I'll Fed Ex it to you immediately.

Clean litter of course. Let's not be gross.

1 comment:

  1. My motto tends to be that if I'm not having fun writing it, then others aren't going to have fun reading it. And let's face it - that's what writing is all about - entertaining people. We're in the business of entertaining.

    Good luck with your new idea!

    ReplyDelete